Global Infancia began in 1995 in the democratic awakening in Paraguay, driving actions against impeachment, defense and protection against the trafficking of babies. At that time, institutions and social organizations started to arise playing different roles and functions to which they played during the Stroessner Dictatorship. They assumed a more active role in accordance with the new demands that the times and process of transition were demanding on society and its organizational forms. In tune with the repressive system, children and adolescents had been seen until then as excluded and dependent on the adult, without a voice and incapable of making decisions about their own lives. Therefore Global introduced a new focus which saw children and adolescents as the subject of rights and that children are equals, whereas before they were not even considered to have the same rights as people in the eyes of the law.
The first Global initiative was very innovative for the social and political times that Paraguay was in and it argued that the communities themselves were there principal protectors and promoters of the rights of children and adolescents. This was how the Codenis (Municipal councils for the rights of the child and adolescent)was born; Global Infancia being the one that channeled the way so that this service of promotion and protection of rights can exist in the cities, as a more direct mechanism of access for the achievement and awareness of rights.
The Codenis was later incorporated in to the Code of Childhood and Adolescence, Law 1.680/01, and today forms a part of the public institutions in more than 190 municipalities in the country.
Laying the foundations of rights
As this was advancing, so too were the actions and initiatives orientated towards other perspectives ofissues such as public policy, appropriate legislation, awareness and training, and the approach of hidden or unknown topics rights violations.
In this sense, Global was a driver and leader of key processes and transcendent for the lives of children and adolescents in our country, in relation to this new way of seeing, envisaging, treating and relating with children and adolescents. The following refers to some of these key processes that Global has been responsible for
- It is associated with and drove the proposed development of The Code of Childhood and Adolescence, Law 1.680/01
- The approach to rights was promoted in Parliament, launchingthe Parliamentary Front for Childhood and Adolescence
- Integral initiatives were pushed to tackle the effects of migration
- Emergency initiatives were developed for drought in the Chaco creating safe spaces for children.
- The processes and formation of advocacy were promoted and accompanied psychosocial processes with children affected by situations of labor and trafficking exploitation.
- It worked with businesses developing programs of Social Business Responsibility (SBR) with an emphasis on childhood and adolescence.
- Initiatives of mass distribution of rights were driven such as in forums and congress, a Rights Tour, good treatment campaigns, identity, responsible parenthood, mayors and governors.
- Safe and responsible use of new technologies has been promoted
- The Global News Agency was created, that searches for mobilization through alliances with journalists, the media and social actors.
- The legislative proposal of the Law for the Penalization of the use of children and adolescents in pornography was promoted, Law 2.861/06.
- The organization and participation of children and adolescents in decision-making and advocacy spaces was promoted.
- It made the situation of the exploitation of child domestic labor visible and developed models of intervention.
- It provided the institutional adaptation of the National Police to the rights of children
- It launched the creation of Child´s Rights Week
- It unified the vision ofinclusion and non-discrimination of children with disabilities in to the school environment.
- A new law was proposed for adoptions (Law 1.136/97) and it supported the creation and strengthening of the Adoption Centre.
- It contributed with research and a generation of knowledge in the different topics addressed.